Seeing an opportunity for business growth can be exciting. But turning your big idea into a practical reality will take careful research and planning – not to mention investment. Use this 10-step list as your reality check.
- Review your cashflow
If you want to grow your business, start by reviewing your cashflow. Work out how much money comes in and goes out. Use the information to plan the year ahead. Your plan should identify how much cash you need to invest in your company’s growth and what you will use it for – for example, hiring employees or buying equipment.
- Review your day-to-day processes
Could you and your staff be more efficient in the way you do things? Do your business practices and policies get in the way sometimes? If yes, it might be time to review your day-to-day processes to identify what you can improve.
- Prepare your team
Having a team of committed and skilled employees is an essential part of any business, particularly one that plans on expansion. If you want to grow your business, first take a step back. Ask yourself:
- Do I have the right team?
- Do my people have the right skills?
- Do they feel sufficiently rewarded?
- What can I do to keep staff and help them feel more committed?
- Have I planned for staff turnover?
Think about how you can prepare your team for change and company growth.
- Know your market competition
It’s important to be really clear about your place in the market. Who are your competitors today and who will they be tomorrow? Carry out a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats) analysis to work out your direction.
- Update the content on your website
Before you attract a new audience to your website or blog, check the content on your site is up-to-date and works for your target audience.
- Make sure that your website can easily be found online, using search engine optimization. Use the Google Keyword Plannertool to check you have the right keywords for Google search. For example, if you are selling women’s tennis shirts, include those words on your web pages.
- Review your social media strategy. Are you using the right networks and tools to increase engagement and traffic to your site?
- Ask your customers for feedback on your website. You could get them to check content, hyperlinks and the search tool.
- Set up new partnerships
You can’t do everything alone. Think about whether you need to set up partnerships with other companies. Maybe it’s time to invest in or buy another business. Selling online might work well if you already sell offline. Setting up a franchise may be an option.
- Bring in external experts
It’s always good to get a fresh perspective from a trusted outsider. Ask an expert to review your business operations or your marketing strategy. Get someone skilled and knowledgeable who is comfortable giving honest, constructive feedback you can use to improve your business.
- Prepare for an economic crisis
No one likes to think about a downturn. But we all know they happen. Make sure you’re ready. Review your cashflow and identify the liquid assets you have. Set up an emergency fund (if you don’t have one) for when times are lean.
- Review your products and services
Make sure your products and services hit the mark by carrying out market research. Use the results to improve what you offer and to identify the language your customers use to talk about your products and services. Reuse their language in your company communications.
10. update your communications plan
A well-thought-out communications plan will identify the key messages you want to get across to your customers. It will also identify how you want to communicate. Update your plan to ensure it covers all the bases – from purchase confirmation emails to customers who’ve bought your product online through to invitations to exclusive events.
If you would like help to grow your business, improve your cashflow and profitability then speak to us today. At Omnis Group Business Advisors and Tax Accountants we also provide a full range of business services designed to help you achieve your results. Not only do we offer full range of business services from basic compliance to management accounting, we can also assist with a cost effective bookkeeping solution, cloud technology and system integration to improve your processes, as well as help with your marketing strategy. We are your one stop shop for your business improvement, support and growth. Omnis Group making running your business easier!
For more free tools and advice check out our Free Business Accounting and Business Improvement Resources