If you’re facing problems with your tax affairs due to bushfires, the ATO will work with you to get things back on track.
Depending on your circumstances, they may:
- give you extra time to pay tax or lodge tax forms, such as activity statements or other returns
- find your tax file number (TFN) by verifying your identity using key information, such as date of birth, address and bank account details
- re-issue documents including tax returns, activity statements and notices of assessment, for example, if you need to access government payments or concessions
- help you reconstruct tax records that are lost or damaged so you can claim entitlements including income tax deductions or access government payments
- prioritise any refunds owed
- set up a payment plan tailored to your individual situation
- remit penalties or interest charged during the time you have been affected.
Employers still need to meet super guarantee obligations for their employees. By law, the ATO can’t vary the contribution due date or waive the super guarantee charge on late super guarantee payments.
Omnis Group are modern, forward-thinking Business Accountants in Perth, providing practical, proactive, real-world advice and support that goes beyond the basic preparation and lodgement of tax returns, to identify opportunities for improvement in your business. Contact us in Subiaco Perth on 08 9380 3555.